Hearn: Fury will not fight again

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury may never box again, boxing promoter Eddie Hearn has said.

Hearn made the comments after Fury’s rematch with Wladimir Klitschko was postponed for a second time over the weekend after the British fighter was declared “medically unfit”.

Fury was due to face Ukraine’s Klitschko on October 29, but the promoters released a statement confirming the 28-year-old is suffering from an undisclosed problem that is “too severe to allow him to participate”.

Fury has not fought since defeating Klitschko in November last year to become world champion.

"Fury will be stripped of his titles and, after a legal battle, he'll say: 'No more, I'm done'," said Hearn, when asked about the world champion.

"It's going to be really messy and it might take a year to resolve. I know there are sensitivities around mental health issues but this is a business.

"The governing bodies have had enough. The world heavyweight title is a huge part of their business and they've not made any money from it for a year."

Fury defeated Klitschko on points in Dusseldorf – the Ukrainian's first loss since 2004 – claiming the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO in the process.

Fury was stripped of the IBF title just two weeks later as he was unable to fight mandatory challenger Vyacheslav Glazkov. The belt is now held by fellow Brit Anthony Joshua.

Comments