Miguel Cotto and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez have been warned that Gennady Golovkin will not chase them in pursuit of a fight.
The winner of the WBC middleweight title clash on November 28 between Cotto and Alvarez, which is being contested at a 155-pounds catchweight, would be in line to defend their belt against pound-for-pound colossus Golovkin next.
Alvarez has suggested Golovkin should also agree to a similar catchweight but the Kazakh's trainer has insisted that can't happen because he is aiming to add to his IBF and WBA belts at 160 pounds.
"'Canelo' hasn't got a leg to stand on if he's going to demand to fight at catchweight," said Abel Sanchez to On The Ropes Radio.
"If he can't fight at 160 pounds then he can vacate the belt and we can fight somebody else."
Golovkin has forged an intimidating 34-0 record with only three victims escaping a knockout, and most recently halted David Lemieux earlier this month.
The undefeated KO specialist has been challenged by Chris Eubank Jr but his trainer Sanchez has warned all comers that Golovkin's focus is on middleweight title belts, not specific opponents.
"Gennady is not after Cotto or Canelo," said Sanchez, whose California gym is home to Golovkin. "Gennady is after the middleweight belt and he wants all four of them, the major ones.
"Once he does that, then we'll look at other options, but Cotto or Canelo is not what's on his mind.
"The middleweight belt is what's on his mind, and whoever is across the ring is the next victim."